GHANA, TOGO & BENIN: VOODOO FESTIVAL
11 Nights // DECEMBER 30, 2017 - JANUARY 11, 2018
Thriving traditional cultures, renowned art forms, flamboyantly colorful festivals, mask dances, and a dazzling ethnic mosaic are the golden gems of tribal West Africa. Our unique PhotoQuest takes you to Ghana, Togo and Benin to discover lost tribal worlds guided by ancient spirits.
Visit the coast for the annual festival of voodoo, where people dressed up in traditional costumes perform unique rituals and ceremonies in devotion to ancient gods. While there, one should expect to bump into the earthly manifestations of voodoo spirits, photograph practitioners, trance-dances and learn about the awesome power that voodoo spirits still hold over people. The other highlight will be the "Fancy Dress Festival" which is a masquerade festival held by the people of Winneba.
- Photograph an amazing fire dance and the Tamberma people with their fairytale clay adobe castles in Togo.
- Explore a witch village in Ghana, the Ashanti kingdom in Kumasi and the haunting European forts along the former Slave Coast.
- Celebrate New Year's Eve in Accra with a special dinner and fireworks.
- Photograph the Egun Mask Dances of the Yoruba villages of southern Benin.
- Marvel when the Voodoo Festival in Ouidah reaches its peak with the arrival of the DagboHouno, the chief “feticheur.”
Meet unforgettable people including the Taberma, whose fairytale clay castles are spectacular examples of uniquely African architecture.
- Enjoy dances, libations, masks and official speeches as part of the festival program.